Tuesday 25 December 2007

Not my best, but one of the important says GANGULY

Bangalore, Dec 9 (IANS) Former India captain Sourav Ganguly doesn't rate his maiden double century as his best, but says it is important in the context of the India-Pakistan cricket series.

"It was not my best innings. But surely it was an important innings in the context of the series. In my career, I have always stood up when required. India-Pakistan series is always different and it is satisfying that I had my first double hundred," Ganguly told Neo Sports after scoring 239 on the second day of the third and final Test at the M Chinnaswamy Stadium here.

Ganguly carried on serenely from his overnight score of 125, and his 200 came off 324 balls. It was the 99th Test match for the 35-year-old left-hander.

"I wanted to play my game. I had decided on shot selection and went about it my way."

Ganguly also justified his captain Anil Kumble's decision to bat first. "It was good that we won the toss and elected to bat. The pitch is keeping low and it will get worse from hereon."

Ganguly's double hundred has come at a time, when he is in the twilight of his career, that too in the year he is making a comeback.

He said he was now able to concentrate on his batting because he was no longer the captain. "For 11 years I have gone through the grind of grounds, airports, hotels and after all that the eight-month break from international cricket helped me to work on my batting.

"The break didn't help me much as a player but it obviously strengthened me mentally and focus on the game."

"I have no pressure on me, now that I am no longer the captain, and I can concentrate on my game," he said.

No comments:

LOVE AND SERVE PEOPLE